Monday, July 12, 2010

Falkor the Luck Dragon Art Doll



"Leaving so soon? Hmmmm?"

Atreyu stammers "I was just going to..."

"...Sneak away? I like children."

"For breakfast?"

and that booming laugh.

"Never. I'm a luck dragon. My name is Falkor."


I present Falkor the Luck Dragon from The NeverEnding Story. Falkor is my most ambitious project to date and has been a labour of love. Many, many hours have gone into his creation as I worked on him for 2-6 hours a day over a period of three weeks.


His body is firmly felted over a strong wire armature with a core of merino wool and over that is a layer of snow white merino/silk (80/20).


Falkor's scales are hundreds of glass seed beads, iridescent beads, frosted beads and natural New Zealand shell beads that were individually sewn in.


Once his beadwork was complete, I carefully hand rooted his coat of "fur" with mulberry silk in very small sections to make his coat natural and uniform.


Falkor's claws are sculpted of paperclay and were painted with a shimmery white acryic paint and finished with a satin finish waterbase varnish.


His eyes are acrylic gold doll eyes that have been carefully set.


Falkor is 11 1/4 inches long and 1 3/4 inches tall. He can be posed gently.


Falkor will come to you with a signed and dated tag.


To see Falkor come to life, view his work in progress post.


More photos on my Facebook Fan page.







 





Falkor has been SOLD, but a custom order is always available.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, he is so perfect! I love it! I'm so impressed by this project. Great job!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/silverrosesewing
    http://silverrosesewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing, it looks just like him! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!!! I love that you quoted my fave movie dialogue in all time xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I can't believe how much work you put into him. He looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is awesome!! Amazing work, especially on his cute lil face. *smoosh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want one for my friend! ANd by the way, the link for a custom order doesn't work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry! I have not updated this link because I am inundated with requests for him and frankly it is a grueling task. Lots of people are also discouraged by his price ($650). If you are still interested please email me at irma.hoani@gmail.com. Thanks for your interest! :)

      Delete
  7. hi i want to know if you can make one for my little princess, she loves fairys and mermaids, please let me know if this is possible you can find me in my twitter @angelcreative i will appreciate it, we're from spain ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay! I haven't checked my blog in a long time! I do take custom orders. You can contact me direct at irma.hoani@gmail.com with exactly what you want and I can quote you a price. For this particular doll, it is $650USD. Thanks for your interest! :)

      Delete
  8. incredible, almost unbelievable if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. A must have for all Falkor fans, so cute and small and the detail is perfect, I so want one. You have an incredible skill Irma, truly amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are truly skilled Irma I so love your Falkor, he is detailed perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails